Subject: Re: Be Anyone?
From: Darren Metcalfe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 16:45:30 -0800

First, apologies to anyone who thinks this is way far out off topic, 
and Dave (for the bandwidth, my checks in the mail, ok seriously, it 
will be soon, how's the slush fund holding out?).

The Bebox has already attracted some cool developers, the big news is 
that Adobe has 3 engineers checking out the possibility of a BeOS 
port of Photoshop and Pagemaker. Oh yeah, Dave Haynie has one! The 
first couple hundred machines are in developers hands, more to ship 
soon. First reports back are very encouraging, folks are raving about 
the OS, programming "kits" and hardware. Every box ships (or will 
ship) with the programming kits and (not sure here) Metroworks 
Codewarrior C++. The boxes come with a network adapter and TCP/IP but 
no RAM, HD, Video Card, KB, Mouse or Monitor. $1600.

I haven't heard much about specific products and developers, but I 
assume Be is attracting their stated audience; bleeding edge software 
developers who sell tools to bleeding edge media producers. I'm sure 
there will be word processors and spreadsheets too.

More info can be had at http://www.be.com and on comp.sys.be

[email-masked] (Jamie Krutz) says:

>The challenge for Be is to attract applications, whether the ones we
>know and love or new ones who can exploit advantages available on
>that platform to become new tools essential for what we do.